Tuesday, Feb 21
10:30 AM (CST)
2023 Retail Outlook
Navigating the Paradoxes of Retail & Shopping Centers
Lacy Beasley and James Cook
It’s a time of mixed messages in the retail and shopping center industry. Consumers face inflation and economic uncertainty, yet they’re still finding money to spend more on entertainment and dining out. Ecommerce continues to grow yet shopping center vacancies are at historic lows.
During this webinar James Cook, JLL’s Americas Director of Retail Research, will dig into these apparent contradictions, revealing the more interesting underlying stories. Cook will also share insights on retail sales trends, opportunities and challenges for retail real estate, and best practices from innovative retailers capturing wallet share.
At JLL Cook leads a team that creates industry-leading research and thought leadership for both owners and occupiers of retail developments. He hosts the audio podcast Where We Buy and the live video show Everything We Know About Retail.
- 0:04 Intro to today’s episode.
- 3:24 Understanding the paradox of e-commerce and retail.
- 9:46 Ai’s impact on retail.
- 14:58 The return to fun and entertainment.
- 20:57 Grocery retail.
- 23:47 Vacancy vacancy and asking rents.
- 28:29 What’s the story behind the demolition numbers?
- 34:01 What are the headwinds to the future?
- 39:43 What’s the state of the retail scene in America?
- 42:28 Shopping Centers of the Future and local businesses.
- 49:15 Public-private partnerships and incentives.
- 54:57 How does retail compare to other commercial real estate sectors?